Visita al Museo Guggenheim – The Guggenheim Museum

by jjamiso3 | July 10th, 2013

Today I got to sleep in until 9am because we had another excursion! So I went downstairs about 15 minutes later to get breakfast (because breakfast is actually in the same building as the dorm rooms) and one of the girls in the Study Abroad program here saw me and said there was no one in the cafeteria and that it did not open until 9:30! So that was a whoops! Since it was the first weekend day we had been at the dorm, I wasn’t sure of the opening and closing times of the cafeteria. NOTE FOR LIFE: Knowing the h.o.o. (hours of operation) of eating places is a very important thing! So anyways I came back downstairs around 9:45 and was able to eat my cocoa pebbles Spain-style then. I then walked to the Guggenheim Museum, which is only about a 15-20 minute walk from my dorm, for the 11:00am tour.

If you know nothing about this museum, let me enlighten you! The Guggenheim Museum is one of the most important contemporary art museums in the world and has played a huge role in the regeneration of Bilbao (the city in which I am currently studying). Even from the exterior of the building, you know right away that it is something very unique because of the architecture composed of glass, titanium and tan colored stone. It is made up of paintings and sculptures that you simply don’t see everyday. In one room you will find life size sculptures of a pig and a dog, in another a huge, huge picture of a girl or woman whose face and middle of her body is covered by a large carrot and yet in other rooms you will find videos on various different themes. Honestly, I am not a big fan of contemporary art however there were a number of pieces that I found quite aesthetically pleasing and I would recommend it to anyone visiting Spain, it is a must see attraction of northern Spain.

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Archives

Categories

Meta